e martë, 3 korrik 2007

Recent Issues Surrounding the Blog Conference

posted at The Daily Whackjob

First, I would like to thank Whackette for that wonderful self congratulating welcome. :) and the whole Daily Whackjob team for giving me this opportunity to broaden my audience and participate in one of the most talked about fun blogs in Virginia!

Secondly, I would like to discuss some recent actions and events dealing with our local Blogosphere. It seems there has been unrest among a group of bloggers concerning the July 13-15 blog conference. I was first informed of this through an e-mail. Then, I saw several posts dealing with the blog conference, mostly pro with a few regrets and negatives.

Richmond Democrat and blueweeds, sent out their regrets. Richmond Democrat made an interesting point. Should there be a bloggers conference for each party? It makes things run smoother working with like minded people (hence two separate conventions.) I, personally, am really impressed with the idea of a non-partisan blog conference. Yes, I understand there will be many difficulties, but there are many issues that I believe ALL bloggers should be a part of. (ethics)

Which brings up the question, I have been wondering, who has acted ethically and unethically in this brief firefight?

With these thoughts, I e-mailed all three of those involved (NLS, Elieen, and Jim Hoeft).

Jim happened to be the most helpful, sending several e-mails back and forth. Most of what Jim had to say can be found on Bearing Drift and NLS (minus the NLS commentary on the events.

Elieen disappointed me greatl. I was, at first, rather excited to receive the first e-mail from her. Then I asked my questions, and I seem to have made the mistake of using the word “drama” to describe the events surrounding the blog conference. Sadly, she replied, “Drama??” and that is the last I have heard from her.

I must admit, I was much more impressed with Jim’s actions then Elieen’s, but personal feelings aside, who is in the right? It seems no one…It also seems no one is in the wrong. I believe that those attending the blog conference will receive the better end (parties with DWJ), but I find it silly for bloggers to be going around condemning those that do not wish to attend. NLS and Elieen do not need to attend for this event to be successful and fun. Would they be welcomed if they came? Sure. Will I be hurt if they don’t come? Not at all.

The whole drama seemed to be about a disagreement that Eileen and Jim had over whether her actions regarding comments and disclosure with the attorney general were ethical. I really can’t say cause I don’t know all the facts of the case, but I am more prone to trust Jim as he is the one setting up the blog conference. He has rarely been one to personally attack another blogger, or even a candidate unnecessarily. This once again shows that blogging ethics does matter. Jim has been a beacon for good wholesome blogging, and Eileen hasn’t been. So, yes, I trust that Jim had his reasons for kicking her off of the planning committee. Is this partisan of me? I don’t really care. This has little to do with politics, and find it rather amusing that so many try to drag politics into a “Blog Conference”. Yeah, we are all political bloggers, but how sucked into the “my party is right” mentality are we gonna go? Will we stop associating with someone that disagrees with us?

A useful quote from the bible “…They will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.” 2 Timothy 4:3-4

Contextually, it is speaking of falling away from sound doctrine, but the truth remains. Those who only receive what they want to hear will never learn anything new. They become so set in their ways that they only associate with those who flatter them by agreeing. This in my humble opinion is a very dangerous thing.

Nuk ka komente: